SOFI INFORMATION FOR
If you have any questions or concerns about the SOFI documents, or require more clarification, please direct all inquiries towards LLB [at] gov.bc.ca.
The Financial Information Act
Every public library and library federation in British Columbia is deemed to be a “corporation” under the terms of the Financial Information Act (FIA). As per Section 2 of the FIA, the SOFI is a legislated reporting requirement for all public libraries and library federations.
The SOFI is also a reporting requirement for libraries and federations as part of grant eligibility and the Ministry of Education’s accountability framework.
Public Library / Library Federation Responsibilities
- Use the New Checklist, Table of Contents, and submission process
- Submit the SOFI on or before the
deadline to the Libraries Branch
- The SOFI must meet all FIA reporting requirements
Ministry of Education’s Role
The Libraries Branch is the main point of contact for library SOFI submissions for the Ministry of Education and ensures receipt of all library SOFI submissions. The Ministry monitors compliance to the FIA, the Financial Information Regulation, the Directive, and reports to the Ministry of Finance.
- The Ministry may contact you directly for clarification, corrections or omissions.
- Non-compliance may result in delayed or discontinued payment of provincial library grants.
Ministry of Finance
The Ministry of Finance’s website provides information regarding completing a Statement of Financial Information.
- Financial Information Act (FIA)
- Financial Information Regulation (FIR)
- FIA Guidance Package
- Minister of Finance Directive for the FIA
- Guarantees and Indemnities Regulation
The Library Commons website provides:
- Forms, Templates, and Samples developed to support library SOFI process are available for download.
- All libraries must submit a Table of Contents (#01) and FIA checklist (#02).
- Use the table below to identify which resources you need.
NOTE: All instructions, forms, schedules, templates, and samples for
|00 – Email to Library Directors||DOCX|
|01 – Table of Contents||DOCX|
|02 – Financial Information Act Submission Checklist||DOCX|
|03 – Board Approval Form||DOCX|
|04 – Management Report||DOCX|
|06 – Schedule of Debt (NIL)||DOCX|
|07 – Schedule of Guarantee and Indemnity Agreements||DOCX|
|08 – Schedule of Remuneration and Expenses||DOCX|
|09 – Statement of Severance Agreements||DOCX|
|10 – Statement of Changes in Financial Position||DOCX|
|11 – Schedule of Payments for Provision of Goods and Services||DOCX|
|Sample Schedules – *Completed for reference only|
|SAMPLE – Schedule of Payments for Provision of Goods and Services||DOCX|
|SAMPLE – Schedule of Remuneration and Expenses||DOCX|
SUBMITTING THE SOFI:
- Save each document separately. The forms can be saved as PDF files, and the schedules as .doc Word files.
- Please submit the SOFI package to the Libraries Branch at LLB [at] gov.bc.ca. The email should be titled [Library Name-SOFI-
- Within the email, please attach each document separately. DO NOT submit the SOFI document as one large document.
- Upon initial receipt of the completed SOFI by the Libraries Branch, you will receive an email acknowledgement. As mentioned above, you may be contacted by the Ministry if there are any questions about your submitted SOFI.
Should you have difficulty meeting the
Should you have any questions on completing the SOFI, please contact the Libraries Branch at 1-800 663-7051 or LLB [at] gov.bc.ca.